Data Link Formats

Join the discussion on DataLink and how to connect Quantrix to outside data sources.

Moderator: Moderators

Data Link Formats

Postby TNicolle » Sun Sep 18, 2016 4:01 pm

I have a basic question about importing files from csv format.

I have an Excel csv file with the following columns:

Date Paid To Debit Credit Running Total

The file represents the file format of a monthly bank statement activity.

I imported via DataLink and got the results in the attached model for review.

The 1st matrix, [DataMatrix_Description], is a multi-demensional model. The result is that all items with the same Paid To name are aggregated and shown as one line item even though there may be multiple occurrences in the month. It was imported with using 1 category for the Paid To column.

The 2nd matrix, [DataMatrix_Date _Description], is a multi-demensional model. It uses Date and Paid To as categories. The result is each date a transaction occurred is shown that includes each transaction type regardless of whether there was one. The result is many blank items and a lot of repetition.

The 3rd matrix, [2D Data Matrix], is importing as a 2 Dimensional model only. This model returns the data from the Excel file to look like it is setup in Excel. It will not sum when I apply the Sum formula using the sigma icon in the menu bar.

Can anyone please explain the differences between the way the data is being imported under these scenarios? I would like to import the date as it is in #3 Martrix, and would like to know why this form of matrix does not add.

Attached is the Excel file and the model file for your review.

Thank you very much for your help.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
TNicolle
Quantrix Forum Member

Re: Data Link Formats

Postby James K » Wed Oct 05, 2016 7:35 am

Hi TNicolle,

When you say you want to know why matrix 3 will not add - are you selecting the dimension "Row" and then Insert>Summary Item>Sum?

Regards,

James
James Kipling
Product Manager, Quantrix
Official Quantrix support is provided through the IDBS Help Desk via support@quantrix.com
James K
Quantrix Forum Member

Return to DataLink